Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Family Law Call (520) 276-7510

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Family Law Call (520) 276-7510

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Family Law Call (520) 276-7510Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Family Law Call (520) 276-7510

Guardianship and Conservatorship Law

Help with divorce, dissolution, child support, child custody.

Guardianship and Conservatorship OVERVIEW

If a person is unable to care for themselves, make reasonable decisions, or unable to protect their own welfare, they may need to have a guardian appointed. If they are unable to make financial decisions or unable to care for their own financial affairs, they may need to have a conservator appointed. The person who is in need of a guardianship or conservatorship is called a ward.

A guardian for a minor may be needed whenever a child is not living with at least one natural or adoptive parent. 

The difference between a guardian and a conservator is that with a guardianship, the guardian makes non-financial decisions for the ward, (such as matters involving the ward’s health, education, social and religious activities), whereas with a conservatorship, a conservator has authority to manage the ward’s financial affairs (which includes bank accounts, stocks and bonds, real estate, insurance policies, and other personal property).  A person who needs a guardian may also need a conservator. While the person serving as the guardian can also serve as the conservator, this is not automatic; in order to have both a guardianship and a conservatorship, separate petitions for each would need to be filed with the court.

Because the appointment of a Guardian or Conservator is an important decision with significant legal implications, it is important to talk with an attorney who understands the issues involved.

Serving all of Pima County, including Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley, 

and Catalina, as well as Saddlebrook (Pinal County) 

Call Now!

(520) 276-7510